This is the time of year that can have conflicting viewpoints for people.
Some look forward to this time of year; others do not.
Some celebrate Christmas; others celebrate a winter holiday.
Some look forward to a good time with family and friends; others will dread the time together.
Some will be among loved ones; others will be alone or miss having a loved one there.
However you will be spending this time of year, this is my wish for you: be a present to yourself. This means “be present with” yourself.
Connect with your body
- Stretch out on your bed and notice your breathing (don’t sit; lie down).
- Forget about dieting or other restrictions over the holidays (except for medical reasons).
Connect with your mind
- Stop the chatter in your head.
- Put away negative thoughts; think of one thing (or more) for which to be grateful.
- Eliminate expectations of yourself and others.
Connect with your spirit
- Spend some time in contemplation.
- Celebrate who you are as a person; think about what makes you unique.
- Spend some quality time with yourself doing something special.
This will be the best gift you can give yourself. Start with one day and then see if you can extend that to more. Peace ~ that is what it’s all about.
See you in January for more blogs!
Judith S. Carscadden