Welcome to Custom Counselling for Counselling and Psychotherapy Services for Individuals in London, Ontario.
Have you been struggling with the same issues for a period of time?
Custom Counselling can provide you with that perspective that can make a difference and help with those issues with which you have been struggling.
Have you tried different things but it just doesn’t seem to make a difference?
Custom Counselling may be the answer you have been wanting for improving your life circumstances.
Have you been thinking maybe it’s time to get another perspective on some things in your life?
Custom Counselling offers several diverse therapies which will be tailored to meet the specific requirements recommended for you.
Welcome to Custom Counselling
What is counselling?
Counselling assists individuals use their current problem-solving strategies more successfully or to develop new or better coping skills. This process provides an opportunity for the client and therapist to explore difficulties which may include the stressful, cognitive thought processes and/or emotional feelings about the difficulties they have sought help. Therapy can also encourage individuals to reflect on their earlier experiences and explore how these experiences affect their current difficulties.
Counsellors have an ethical and legal duty to hold in confidence the information that is shared during therapy. There are limits to this confidentiality and these limitations will be discussed during the initial meeting.
Counselling sessions are usually bi-weekly at the start. Some clients choose to decrease the frequency of visits as their functioning improves. The length of counselling depends on the nature of the problem and how much work an individual is interested in doing. Brief solution-focused counselling may meet the needs of clients who are interested in dealing with very specific issues.
What to expect
Through the counselling process, you will…
- Explore the things which are most important to you.
- Be empowered to experience yourself differently concerning your conflicts.
- Gain understanding and develop the strength to cope, to make difficult decisions, and to overcome challenges.
- Become empowered to make informed choices about yourself and your life.
- Solve specific problems, and develop effective strategies and techniques that will continue to support you for years to come.
- Address your difficulties with integrity, confidence and peace.
Transformation, growth and healing are realistic, attainable goals for your life.
What is offered
As each individual is unique, so is the therapy. Your counselling sessions will consist of a collaborative process of developing mutually defined goals and identifying the process that best serves you.
- Conflict resolution
- Individuals going through separation/divorce
- Family crises
- Anxiety, depression
- Anger management
- Assertiveness techniques
- Boundary setting
- Life transitions and loss: illness, separation/divorce, aging, retirement and death
- Self-esteem and identity issues
- Unresolved trauma
- Male and Female survivors of Abuse: sexual/ physical/emotional
- Abuse: domestic abuse and violence
- Addictive behaviour
- Substance abuse
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): is a form of psychotherapy and talk therapy that has shown to be particularly effective for mood and anxiety disorders. It works to solve current problems and change unhelpful thinking and behaviour.
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR): is an extensively researched, effective psychotherapy method proven to help people recover from trauma and other distressing life experiences, including PTSD, anxiety, depression, and panic disorders.
- Image Transformation Therapy (ImTT): is a gentle therapy that releases the pain, fear, guilt, and/or shame of trauma and other experiences without the person needing to intensely experience the feelings.
- Insight-oriented: is a form of psychotherapy that identifies self-defeating thought and life patterns through the process of promoting their self-awareness, developing and utilizing problem-solving techniques and enhancing life skills.
- Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy: Mindfulness therapy aims to help you learn to be aware of your thoughts and bodily sensations and in so doing be able to better cope with day-to-day emotions and problems.
- Solution-Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT) (Goal-oriented): identifying a specific goal and developing steps to achieve this.
Meet the counsellor
Jennifer has been in the mental health field for over seventeen years. She provides services through a trauma-informed lens and has worked with individuals with various trauma experiences. She also works with Male Survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
Jennifer uses many therapeutic approaches to assist clients to build their resiliency and focuses on empowering clients to overcome difficulties, self-defeating thoughts, and life patterns through the process of promoting their self-awareness, developing, and utilizing problem-solving techniques and enhancing life skills.
She has worked within an assortment of agencies in the community over the years and has a wide spectrum of clinical experience pertaining to adults with personal challenges.
Jennifer graduated from King’s University College obtaining an Honours Bachelor of Social Work degree as well as a Master of Social Work degree. She also has her Social Service Worker Diploma, Human Services Foundation Certification, and General Arts and Science Certification from Fanshawe College.
Jennifer is a Registered Social Worker and Registered Social Service Worker with the Ontario College of Social Workers. She is also a member of the Ontario Association of Social Workers. Jennifer has EMDR and ImTT training which are both used as a therapeutic interventions for trauma.
Both day and evening appointments are available. To book an appointment call or email directly from this site.
Initial appointments within 1 week of the first contact.
#311-450 Central Ave, London On. (The entrance is at the front of the building).
Parking is $4.00 behind the building or there are two hours of free parking on the street.
My hourly rate is comparable to other London-area social workers and psychotherapists.
My fee is $ 140.00 per one-hour session. Payment is made at the end of each session via cash, cheque, Mastercard, Visa, or e-mail money transfer. My cancellation policy is 24 hours advance notice or half session fee will be charged.
As a Registered Social Worker, extended health care benefits may cover all or part of your counselling services. Please check with your place of employment and insurance provider to see if you have coverage for counselling services provided by an M.S.W. Social Worker. If you do not have benefits, my services are approved for medical expense tax credit and fees for therapy can be deducted on your income tax return.
If you are unable to afford counselling at this time, there are two counselling services in the community which provide subsidized counselling: Daya Counselling Centre and Family Services Thames Valley.
Custom Counselling Blogs
Worry ~ Custom Counselling
WORRY February 2019 Worry … Worry … Worry … Worry … Worry Merriam Webster defines worry as a persistent or nagging mental distress or agitation. A second definition […]
Vacation ~ Custom Counselling
January 2019 Sometimes we need a vacation and so this month I am resting not in some tropical place but close to all the things I love to do. […]
Holiday Wish ~ Custom Counselling
Holiday Wish December 2018 This is the time of year that can have conflicting viewpoints for people. Some look forward to this time of year; others do not. […]
Disappointment ~ Custom Counselling
DISAPPOINTMENT November 2018 Disappointment ~ it can happen to anyone at any time; no one is immune. From early childhood and on through life all of us will experience […]
Compliments ~Custom Counselling
COMPLIMENTS (October 2018) Last month we looked at criticism; for October we will look at the aspects of compliments. Although it seems unusual that a person would have trouble […]